Fasting -The requirements, effects and benefits of fasting!
Fasting is willful abstaining from natural pleasures for a spiritual purpose. It’s going to be tough for anyone because your will always tells you don’t continue this but you’ve got to willfully put your body under subjection. Fasting is a personal commitment to renounce the natural to invoke the spiritual. Fasting is the transfer from natural to the spiritual. Fasting is also the dedication to a period of time to devote oneself to the spiritual priority of prayer without food. Your belly is your biggest controller and if you could ever control your belly you’ve wiped the natural.
Requirements of Fasting
- Fasting is not just missing a meal- too fast is not just to miss a meal, some people say I will miss a meal and just fast but that’s just because you were too busy or preoccupied, God is clearly not the focus here and so fasting does not count here.
- Fasting is not dieting- some people have dieting at the back of their minds and not fasting, God knows if you’re dieting or actually fasting. It’s a wrong purpose and reason and therefore God cancels it. The fast is useless.
- Fasting demands replacing meals with reading of the word and prayer- The time you use to cook, you can use that time to study the word, that’s simply telling God that he is more important to you than food. In order words, you replace the food with the study of the word. In essence, use your lunch hour and spend it with God instead of carrying out other errands.
- Fasting demands dedicating time for meditation- focusing on God constantly, meditation means listening, quietness is a powerful form of prayer, it gives God a time to talk with you.
- Fasting requires spending much time in the word- God speaks in his written word, open up and spend time with the word.
Effects of fasting
- Fasting changes us and not God.
- Fasting does not move God- fasting gives you more capacity for God to move.
- Fasting increases our spiritual capacity- fasting is like hooking yourself up to a big tank of power, it’s like a pipe, fasting increases the size of your pipe.
- Fasting breaks habits and spiritual bondage.
- Fasting quiets the heart to hear God’s voice.
- Fasting brings Godly intimacy- it draws you to God.
The benefits of fasting
- Spiritual discipline
- Increased spiritual capacity
- A clear sober mind- mentally alert
- A pure heart and mind
- It increases your hunger for God and his word
- Physical health
- Loss of excess weight
- It purifies your body
- Spiritual freedom
- Physical freedom
- Spirit of giving
- It makes your light shine and your ability to share revelation
- It protects, it gives you Godly protection
- It gives you better answers to prayers
- It gives you intimacy with God
- It increases retention capacity.
- Spiritual sensitivity
- commit yourself to God in consecration to fasting and prayer, whether it’s a 7 day fast, 3 day or 21 days fast.
- drink plenty of water at room temperature- 8 glasses a day.
- hot herbal tea, cranberry and apple juices, raw apple cider vinegar.
- when gastric juices cause an acidic reaction in the stomach, drink water immediately
Written by Adaora Emelieze
Ex. Understanding How to fast & Pray Efficiently by Dr Myles Munroe