8 qualities to develop to become a person of integrity and influence!
people around the world want to be influenced by people they can trust, persons of good character and integrity. If you want to influence other people, you need to develop the following qualities of integrity and live them out every day.
- Model consistency of character– Solid trust can develop only when people can trust you all the time. If they never know from moment to moment what you’re going to do, the relationship will never deepen to a confident level of trust.
- Employ honest communication– To be trustworthy, you must have to be like a good musical composition, your words and music must match.
- Value transparency– People eventually find out about your flaws, even if you try to hide them. But if you’re honest with people and admit your weaknesses, they will appreciate your honesty and integrity. And they will be able to relate to you better.
- Exemplify humility– People won’t trust you if they see that you are driven by ego, jealousy, or the belief that you are better than they are.
- Demonstrate your support of others– Nothing develops or displays your character better than your desire to put others first. As our friend Zig Ziglar says, help enough other people to succeed, and you will succeed also.
- Fulfill your promises– Never promise anything you can’t deliver. And when you say you’ll do something, follow through on it. A sure way to break trust with others is to fail to fulfill your commitments.
- Embrace an attitude of service– we have been put on this earth not to be served, but to serve. Giving of yourself and your time to others shows that you care about them. Missionary-physician Sir Wilfred T Grenfell held that “the service we render to others is really the rent we pay for our room on this earth.”People of integrity are givers not takers.
- Encourage two-way participation with the people you influence– When you live a life of integrity, people listen to you and follow you. Always understand that the goal of influence is not manipulation, it’s participation. Only as you include others in your life and success do you permanently succeed.
Ex: Becoming a person of influence.